Sunday, December 7, 2014

Southern Splendor on a not horribly cold day


Winter has come early and with force this year in Madison. Consequently, when the forecast predicted a day of temperatures slightly above freezing, I took up the rare opportunity for a longer ride. The route mostly followed the Southern Splendor ride by the Bombay Bicycle Club and proved to be an excellent choice. Lots of quiet back roads and a pretty, mostly snow-covered scenery.

For riding on the sections of bike trail I was glad to have my studded tires, as there will plenty of icy patches—on the Badger State Trail I rode past a guy who just had had a (harmless) fall. The roads mostly clear of ice and snow and merely wet and salty. I was wearing multiple layers of wool on my upper body, which turned out just right for the given temperature. I'm looking forward to doing this route again next spring or summer. Strava link.
Ice fishing in November? Where did I move to!?


The sun was low but still provided some warmth



“Ice ordinance” A little too early to ride out onto the lake

Lake Kegonsa



Crossing the Yahara in Stoughton




Badfish Creek




No comments:

Post a Comment